Apopka City Hall

 

With its name derived from an Indian term, literally defined as potato eating place, Apopka is a city located in the Orange County, twelve miles Northwest of Orlando.

 

Although officially incorporated in 1882, Apopka was first habituated by Acuera people of the Timucua confederation (American Indians) before being diminished in 1730, as what historians believed as a result of disease brought by later explorers.

 

The group would then be succeeded by Alabama and Georgia refugees and formed a new Seminole Indian Tribe, with the settlement grew to about 200 by 1830s. This tribe was also responsible for the land’s original name. “Ahapopka.” By the 1850s, the population clouded, large enough to help build a lodge that served as a meeting place for people along the area.
 

apopka city hall, orange county

The lodge currently served as an intersection for Alabama Avenue and US Highway 441. Apopka has a total area of thirty square miles with around 31,000 citizens living around the region. It was known for its nickname as the Fern City in the past, as a result to the influx of its fern industry in 1912. However, tropical plants were introduced in Apopka in the latter years and soon dominated over the fern industry, explaining its more current title as the "Indoor Foliage Capital of the World." One of famous attractions of Apopka is its own City Hall, the structure of which was actually a former school.

 

It was in 1887 when a four room, two floors wooden building was built by L.G. Silas and inaugurated in 1901 as the new Apopka High School, only to get destroyed by a twister on January 12, 1918, and was replaced by a green brick building. In 1966, the building was refurbished and was given a Georgian Colonial style look. In 1987, the building was officially modified to house administrative offices and the city council. John H. Land, the current mayor of Apopka City is the longest serving mayor in Florida. He was first elected in the office in 1949, and was constantly re-elected in the position ever since. January 1, 2008 served the start of his 56th year in service. Mayor Land has been a recipient for numerous awards including the "Municipal Officer of the Year Award." He has also been declared as one of Florida's greatest treasures.

Aside from the City Hall, Apopka also boasts the following historical landmarks: Museum of the Apopkans, which is just in the second floor of the City Hall, containing artifacts and photographs of Apopka's early settlers; The Fern Monument, a replica of the Boston fern which was made in October 1982, to commemorate Apopka's first commercial plant; State Bank of Apopka, the oldest surviving bank of the Orange County which has been serving the state since 1912; and the 1903-built Queen Anne style home, Townsend’s Plantation, a 4,000 square foot home that had housed Apopka’s first practicing physicians and pilots, Mr. and Mrs. McBride.