Orlando Scientist Greek Church

 

Relaxingly settled at 24 North Rosalind Avenue across Lake Eola in Orlando, Florida, the First Church of Christ, Scientist is a historic Classic Roman Revival (Neoclassical) architecture in the tradition of such structures like the Putteney Bridge in Bath, United Kingdom, Prado Museum in Madrid, Spain and the Alexander Column in Palace Square at St. Petersburg, Russia.
 
The church was built between 1926 and 1928 and is eventually included among Orlando, Florida’s Register of Historic Places. The structure was added in the prestigious Register of Historical Places in June 3, 1980. The architecture of the building is done by George Foote Durham, who also did the design of Town Hall Seattle and a lot of other Christian Science Churches. The church sits across the street from Lake Eola, considered as one of Orlando's magnificent scenery, despite Orlando's growing population and transformation into a city. With a breathtaking view from the church, onlookers will find the images of people swimming and fishing on the clear waters and picnicking near its shores.

orlando scientist greek church

In 1892, the area was declared as a park and what had sprouted way before are a zoo, a horse race track, tennis courts, a dance area and a music broadcast. An additional attraction, the “Millennium Fountain” was also installed in 1957. Although the church was built in the early 1900s, the Christian Science services in Florida started as early as 1892 and the church has been organized in 1897, changing locations from time to time until they finally moved in the completed building. Founded by Mary Baker Eddy after a personal healing in 1866, the Church of Christ Scientist accounts the miraculous healing. Its headquarters is in Boston, Massachusetts. The Christian Science of Church has undergone a diminishing number of memberships over the past decades, with the end of the Second World War as its declining point. Churches from Fort Pierce, Holmes Beach, Jacksonville and Lake Worth, all from Florida were also dissolved. The church in Orlando wasn’t dissolved although the meeting place was transferred to 915 North Fern creek. The church is now owned by St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church.

In 1975, the St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church, one of several Eastern Orthodox Churches (second largest single Christian communion in the world) in the USA, have taken over the neoclassical designed church. It was believed that the first Syrian-Lebanese families that arrived at the Massachusetts in the mid-1880 have introduced their faith. There were no church then and meeting and services happen in homes. The church has grown larger in membership, branching to other cities and states around the country, including Orlando. However, regardless of the turnover of the place form one religion to another, the structure would remain as it is, as one of the treasured historical places in the country.