Longwood Historic District

 

Listed among the U.S. Historic Districts on October 5, 1990, the City of Longwood is the smallest town (in terms of land area) in the Seminole County, also garnering the second smallest population.

 

Longwood is located nearby among the most visited tourist destinations in the world, including Walt Disney World, Universal Studios and many more and they are literally just a drive away. This popular destination point is bounded by West Pine Avenue, South Milwee Street, Palmetto Avenue and Country Road 427. Longwood has an area of roughly 190 acres and is a home for 37 historic buildings, including the Bradlee-McIntyre House, the Inside-Outside House and the Longwood Hotel. Longwood is considered to be the Seminole County municipality that has the best job of preserving its history, while emulsifying the past to the modern world, becoming a town of old houses and office parks and shopping centers.

longwood historical district, seminole county

Longwood is home for Central Florida's oldest tourist attraction, The Senator, a 3000 year old cypress that was considered a wilderness sanctuary for tribes that have escaped away from the Spanish. It was in 1870 when the earliest settlers to the Longwood area arrived. They are John Neill Searcy from Tennessee and Edward Warren Henck from Boston. Henck was a real estate developer, and only after a decade of promotions, Longwood had five churches, three hotels, eight stores and a weekly newspaper. Among Longwood's most famous architectural pieces is the Longwood Hotel which also goes by any of the following name: Orange and Black, St. George Hotel and Longwood Village Inn. The National Register of Historic Places added the hotel on its list on May 10, 1984. . This old hotel had been a location for the film “Johnny Tiger,” a 1966 film where Robert Taylor and Chad Everett were stars.

The other one is the 1885-made Bradlee-McIntyre House which is a former winter cottage. A Victorian style 13-room vacation house, it was originally situated in Altamonte Springs before it was moved in its present location. The design behind the house was made by Boston architect Nathaniel Jeremiah Bradlee. On March 28, 1991, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. This house stands today as the Longwood’s only remaining winter cottage of its size built in the 1880s. A structure that has been saved from being burned was the Inside-Outside House. Like the Bradlee-McIntyre home, it was moved from the Altamonte down to Longwood in 1973 as requested by the late Grace Bradford who rallied for its preservation. A small business is now operating on the house, the Culinary Cottage. The place isn’t just a land of beautifully crafted house but of interesting annual events as well including the Founders Day Spring Arts and Crafts Festival, held in March and the Longwood Arts and Crafts festival, which is being held prior Thanksgiving.