Orlando Tinker Building

 

Aside from being famous for theme parks and resorts, Orlando, Florida is also home to some historic places and heritage buildings. One them is the Tinker Building along 16--18 of West Pine Street, which was registered under the US National Register of Historic Places on the 17th of July 1980. Its historic significance encompasses social and commercial aspects, being a real estate building put up by the legendary baseball icon Joseph B. Tinker.
 

Joseph B. Tinker, fondly called Joe Tinker by fans and colleagues alike, rose to fame as a professional baseball player of the Chicago Cubs, most of his baseball career. His career progressed and made him a baseball manager and eventually earning him a slot at the Baseball Hall of Fame. The Kansas-born Joe Tinker became famous in the world of sports, played for the Chicago Cubs from 1902 until 1912, for the Cincinnati Reds in 1913 and for the Chicago Whales (Federal League) from 1914-1915. He was the 41st player to be inducted to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1946. He played a total of 21 games in four World Series including the years of 1906, 1907, 1908, and 1910; and a total of five all-star games in 1906, 1908, 1909, 1911 and 1912.

 

Total games he had ever played reached 1,804. His fielding percentage is .938. He died on the 27th of July in 1948 and was buried the Greenwood Cemetery in Orlando, Florida. In December 1920, he was hired as manager of the Orlando Baseball team so he had to move to Orlando, Florida. So he settled roots and made a new home of it. After a while, he had a building constructed to house the offices of his real estate business. And the Tinker Building was born.

 

tinker building at west pine street

Tinker Building was designed after the blooming 20th Century Commercial style, using glazed brick tiles and adorned with Terracotta. The building became a witness of the flourishing of commerce and trade in Orlando, with itself housing a many business establishments. Tinker Building, of course, first housed its owner real estate business called Joe Tinkers Real Estate. Other business establishments that held office and operations here include the Balfour Hardware Store from 1930 to 1941; Singer Sewing Machine Company store in 1928; and an always full-house pool hall, which was frequented by young and old people alike. The building was eventually transferred to the ownership of the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company in 1941 before being sold to Carey Hand. Today, currently owned by James M. Russ, the historic building holds the offices of a law firm.