Winter Park Brewer House - The Palms

 

While some will most likely connect the Winter Park Brewer House as a coffee factory, or whatever structure that gives life to caffeinated drinks, the Brewer House is actually a winter cottage whose name is dedicated to its owner, Edward Hill Brewer.

 

His inspiration for building his own home residence in central Florida came after one family vacation in the mid-1890s. He was inspired by the balmy climate of the location and realized that staying in the area has a soothing, or healing effect on his arthritis.

 

After renting accommodations in the location

at first, Brewer’s idea of building a

permanent residence in the area would then come to a realization. Brewer bought 40 acres of land owned by Rollins College, a land located in the southwestern corner of Lake Oseola, a property which Rollins refer as a big financial burden for institution.

winter park brewer house - the palms

Brewer started the construction of the 21-room frame house in 1897 and was completed after two years: in 1899. Winter would then define a changing time and location for the Brewers, transporting all the way from their city residence in Cortland, New York to Winter Park. It's also amazing that Edward Brewer didn't just go to his winter mansion residence simply for relaxation and vacation. He became actively involved with the affairs and activities happening in Winter Park. This would reflect on his active participation in he Winter Park Board of Trade and on the Library Broad. He also contributed donations to Rollins College and served on its Broad of Trustees. He also opened his mansion, which he would later name as "The Palms," to the public as a place for special occasions as well as fund-raising events.

In 1923 Edward Brewer's "The Palms" would experience a big renovation by modifying it to the same exact design of his Cortland mansion in New York. The mansion was originally constructed with clapboard and was covered with a wooden shingle roof. The veranda boasted a spindle-balustrade. Ironically, he died before the seeing the completion of the exact copy of his house. Mrs. Brewer would live in the house until her death in 1937.

The Brewers’ children sold their parents’ two properties, wherein each of the houses has experiences relatively different direction as regarded to their purposes. The original Cortland mansion became a college dormitory, while the “The Palms” have been passed over to different owners. In 1938, “The Palms” had been owned by Mr. and Ms. Frederick Detmar Trismen, who was responsible for the major redesigning of the mansion’s interior. They asked architect James Gamble Roger II to do the redefinitions. Now considered as a historic home, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in April 22, 1982.